Elena Blanco-Suarez, Salk Scientist
Nicola Allen Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory
Christiann Moore, Mesa College Designer
Study of astrocytes and their role to make healthy connections between neurons.
- Astrocyte stars shining brightly as they fervently connect the neurons in the deep space of the brain
- Body of the gown is voluminous, representing the immense power of the human brain and infinite strength and power
- Ethereal texture of the feathers represent the fluid movement of the astrocytes connecting the neurons in the huge expanse of the brain
- Color black represents the infinite space and the massive endless computing power of the brain
- Midnight blue silk organza edging at the bottom of the gown represents the large billowing affect of the shape of the brain as a whole. Billowing like soft puffy clouds with soft gentle folds in the fabric.
- Hand painted feathers, of yellow and hand beaded feathers with crystals represent the high energy of the astrocytes as they connect neurons; yellow representing the mystic energy of the sun and the blue gems representing stars shining brightly in a dark infinite space
- “Midnight Stars”, always shining, mystical and infinite. Working practically unnoticed and even taken for granted, long into the night…